This week was full of ups and downs.

Monday was my first day of French class, which meant that I officially have classes on Mondays from 8:30 in the morning, until 7:30 in the evening. I had signed up for Lower Intermediate French because I had no idea how difficult it would be, and I figured I would rather take the easier class, than flounder in a class beyond what I could do. After the one class I realized that I would much rather study hard and learn more, than take a class which would be 100% review. We spent almost the entire first class discussing how we would introduce ourselves to new people we meet, things like:

  • Name {Tu t’appelles comment? / Je m’appelle Samantha}
  • Age {Tu as quel âge? / J’ai vingts ans}
  • Nationality {Tu viens d’où? / Je suis americaine}
  • Residence {Tu habites où? / J’habite à Cergy}
  • Occupation {Tu habites où? / J’étudie le commerce à l’ESSEC}
  • Hobbies {Qu’est-ce que tu aimes faire? / J’aime jouer le piano}
  • Time in France {Tu es arrivé quand en France? / Je suis arrivé il y a un mois}

These are things we learned how to say when I took my first French class ever, freshman year of high school. The only difference was that for this class we were supposed to already know some French, and it was taught almost entirely in French. After the break we started talking about the geography of France. It was at this point that my professor gave us what amounted to a syllabus for the class, and I realized that I definitely needed to move up to a harder class. Consequently, next week I will be in Upper Intermediate French, so I’m looking forward to that!

On Tuesday I realized that Disneyland Paris was a train ride away, so I bought tickets. Tickets to Disney that you buy online are only good starting the next day, and because I don’t have class on Wednesdays. That was wonderful until I was not feeling well on Wednesday and couldn’t go. I figured I would have to wait until next week to go to Disneyland, but I got an email at 8:20 on Thursday morning. The email was from my professor saying that class was canceled this week and he would see us next Thursday. Naturally this email only came after I was already awake and had gotten ready for class.

Being that I suddenly had the day off, and was already awake, naturally I went to Disneyland! Getting from my apartment to Disneyland Paris just means riding the RER A (literally) from one end to the other. It took just under 2 hours to reach Disney, but fortunately it was completely uneventful.

Disneyland Paris is made up of only 2 parks: Disneyland Park, and Walt Disney Studios Park. I went to Disneyland Park first. It somewhat surprised me that it was decorated for Halloween because Halloween is not a holiday that they really celebrate in Europe. But it’s Disney, and even here it’s still called Main Street, USA. I did my best to ride all of the rides, but also see some of the characters. I even waited in line to get my picture taken with Mickey Mouse and Minnie Mouse. Unfortunately, several of the main rides are being renovated, so I couldn’t go on everything. But my favorite ride was Space Mountain: Mission 2. I got to go on it twice with no wait at all courtesy of the Single Rider line! After I had successfully made a complete circuit of the park, I headed to Walt Disney Studios Park.

Walt Disney Studios Park has a lot more rides. Admittedly I’ve only been to Disneyworld twice, and the second time for only 45 minutes, but I think there are a lot more rides here that are for older kids and adults than there are at Disneyworld. I highly recommend Crush’s Coaster! They also have a new Ratatouille ride, they was one of those part roller coaster, part 3-D movie rides. I was slightly disappointed when I learned that Walt Disney Studios Park closes much earlier than Disneyland Park, so I barely got to go on everything before the park closed. I did not go back to Disneyland Park to wait for the fireworks because I did not know what time the RER stopped running and I did not want to get stranded. Instead I did a little bit of souvenir shopping and then went home.